Coronavirus refers to a family of viruses that cause illnesses to humans or animals. In humans, these viruses cause respiratory problems that manifest common cold. Some of the deadliest coronaviruses in history include the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and COVID-19.
COVID-19 is the most recently discovered coronavirus, and its symptoms include fever, tiredness, dry cough, and shortness of breath. Patients may also experience aches and pains, runny nose, nasal congestion, sore throat, or diarrhea.
Older adults, as well as individuals with underlying medical problems such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disorder, or diabetes, are more likely to get infected and are less likely to recover from COVID-19.
Thus, as a provider of senior home care in Palm Beach, Florida, we are reminding everyone to be mindful of their elderly loved ones.
Keep in mind the following tips:
- Frequently wash your hands for at least 20 seconds (if soap and water aren’t available, use rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizers) before and after preparing food, providing care, using the bathroom, or touching surfaces in public places.
- Cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue (if tissue paper isn’t available, use the bend of your elbow). Keep your hands away from your face.
- Avoid crowds. Practice social distancing, but not social isolation. Providers of veterans care should also encourage seniors to stay connected using technology.
- Sanitize mobility and medical equipment used by your loved one, such as walkers, canes, and handrails as well as other frequently touched surfaces.
- Postpone unnecessary visits to the doctor and avoid traveling.